Technorati Button

Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Good Driving Skills or Lack Thereof

I was told when I began driving 30 years ago (yes I am dating myself), "Driving is a privilege, not a right." This is still true today, yet many thousands of people break all the rules and exhibit odd driving behaviors daily. In the past few months it has become increasingly worse, if that is even possible. Florida Representative Irv Slosberg has done a lot to improve the roads of Florida for which he is my hero but, now more than ever, it is important to concentrate on getting some of these dangerous drivers off our roads too. If there was a Federal grant providing money for re-educating every driver in Florida, I would like to take the project on myself. I would also use the grant money to re-train America on the etiquette of driving, since so many of our drivers in Florida are tourists. I would do public service commercials that would knock your driving socks off.

The reason I am so passionate about this subject, is not because I have lost anyone close to me due to bad driving, but rather that I have come inches close to dying myself because some idiot has cut me off, not just once, but probably an average of at least once a year for each of my 30 years driving. I'm not saying my driving is perfect, but I follow all the sensible driving rules, am extremely considerate of others and make sure that I do nothing to risk another driver's life.

I will explain some of the things that I have seen only just recently that give cause for concern. The number one complaint I have and I am sure many people have, is about drivers holding a cell phone to their ear while driving. I do not care who you are, NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE, has the ability to drive properly holding a cell phone while talking to another. I usually try not to use foul language, but I believe WTF fits perfectly here, especially for those stupid enough to text on their cell phone while driving. Ten and two o'clock drivers! Two hands on the wheel; one at ten and one at two; eyes on the road! This is life or death (big DUH)!

Another problem that Florida has is that everyone is afraid to offend the elderly population. What???? Driving is a privilege, not a right. Anyone over the age of 70, needs to take an extensive driving test, including written and oral exams, and that is all there is to it. There is no need for argument on the subject. This is not trampling elderly rights, it is saving human life and using common sense. People need to put their pride and egos aside, and do what is right for the sake of safety. Just drive through Boynton Beach and see if your own hair doesn't turn white. The people there literally cannot see over the steering wheel. I pulled up to Boynton Beach Boulevard and Congress one day, looked around me and there was not one person under the age of 65. I felt like I was in the movie cocoon. It's not like I am trying to offend, especially since I am only a couple of decades away from old age too. I personally would not be offended if Florida said, "Bonnie you need to take another driving test." If I could not pass it, then by gosh, I would expect to lose my license. The bus is something I've always been curious about.
Photobucket
There are two other issues that go hand in hand. One person is driving 25 miles an hour in the fast lane (for those who don't know, it's the far left lane). The second person is weaving in and out of traffic to get nowhere fast during rush hour, attempting to pass the driver doing 25 mph. Yesterday, I was in the center lane of I-75 on my way to Weston, when this cute little red sports car missed my front bumper by 5 inches (yes I was measuring), trying to get around some young lady on her cell phone in the fast lane going 50. No one is supposed to go 50 in the fast lane of a major highway (just a little bit of common sense trivia). I was frustrated with them both. The passengers in my car looked back at the lady on her cell phone, and she was completely oblivious. She had the stupidest grin from ear to ear, as if she was talking to her lover. It made us laugh, but at the same time, how sad that she would put everyone's life in jeopardy for something that could have been held off until she got to where she was going.
Photobucket
I know I could go on and on complaining and you may say, why doesn't she do something? We all think someone else is going to do something, right? Wrong. Right now, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to teaching others how to drive properly (unless of course someone would like to pay me to do it). However, I do have time to send an email to my Florida District 90 Representative Irv Slosberg to tell him what he probably already knows and may already be working diligently on. I know one thing, if he can't do something to improve the driving habits in Florida, no one can. Go Irv!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I just posted a lengthy response that got lost in the virtual abyss.

    Long story short, people get old. Memory, reflexes, sight, hearing are impaired. An older adult who was independent one day may be dependent the next. These are events of life that everyone should plan for but most don't.

    People who live up north but have parents here in Florida should check on them regularly. If their driving is impaired, the license must go. If they have burned their kitchen a few times, they should be moved to an assisted living facility. It's often more complicated than that, as most seniors put up a fight for their independence and their children generally back down. Hence, seniors who have dementia and otherwise should not drive still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said webhands :-) I respect the elderly because they are wise and have interesting stories, but I am not about to risk my life for their feelings. They need to realize what happens when a person ages, and take that into account when getting behind the wheel of a 2000 pound killer machine.

    ReplyDelete