Technorati Button

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Embracing Our Strange


     Everyone is odd in his or her own unique way.   This blog is to help people embrace being different and also accept others’ oddities.  Some people think they are perfect, but no one is.  This world is interesting because there are so many people with strange quirks, ticks, fetishes (this blog won’t go there), ideas, compulsions, phobias, and the list goes on an on.  Although I don’t do this a lot, because I tend to get a bit claustrophobic in large crowds, my favorite thing in the entire world is to go somewhere with a lot of people, preferably with enough room around me that I don’t have to touch anyone, and just sit down to people watch.  I married someone who also likes to do that.  I can tell you some stories and show you some pictures that would make you wonder if sanity even exists.  This blog will become a testimony to how wonderful being odd truly is.  No one is exempt from being strange, and if you think you are the only one who does something weird or different, this blog will prove you wrong. 
     This is a link to a blog written by an unknown author on the onewomanarmy’s blog: http://www.everypoet.net/poetry/blogs/onewomanarmy/social_oddities .  This poem elegantly portrays someone whose social oddities have prevented this person from developing friendships.  I remember when I was growing up how the strange kids were all shunned and teased.  I also remember taking part in the teasing and am now ashamed of myself for taking part in such a cowardly, mean act.  I am friends with some of those same people I teased, and what a forgiving bunch they are.  I find them to be some of the most fascinating, kind and loving people I know.  I challenge anyone who reads this to take the first step and get to know someone who may be a little odd.  Your friendship could make all the difference to them, and it could even make a difference in your life too.

2 comments:

  1. I remember kids who used to get teased. I always stood up for them, then making myself a target to be teased as well. Kids in general can be so mean. I think the teasers are the more insecure personalities, needing a group to feel security. I applaud all the teased kids for being themselves. Cool blog Bonnie and neat to hear that you have made friends with the ones you teased. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I look back, I realize that those kids who chose to be different were really the secure ones. They weren't afraid to be different, even when they were being teased. I'm so glad I'm not a kid anymore :-)

    ReplyDelete