Technorati Button

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Back Stabbing Political Marketing

Every four years, since I first registered myself to vote at age 18, I have listened to politicians talk maliciously about their opponents. It has gotten progressively worse over the years too, which I believe partly contributes to kids' propensity towards bullying (that's my theory anyway). Wouldn't it be nice if politicians left the name calling to young elementary school children who are just learning to get along on the playground and don't know any better yet?

I am tired of politicians during debates, slam their opponents with nothing more than rumors and viciousness. I get even sicker watching an individual on the receiving end of the abuse, sinking down to the abuser's level and coming back with even worse things to say in return. Negative campaign attack ads are nothing more than public bullying, and we wonder why this is a problem in our nation's schools. It's like no one is smart or imaginative enough anymore to come up with real things to talk about, so they have to resort to immature political bashing.
Photobucket
When I heard that Donald Trump would possibly be running for president, I initially thought he would be a good choice, since he is such a successful businessman. I quickly changed my mind when I saw his most recent speech on WPTV News, and remembered that he is the king of drama. He loves to talk nasty about others and stir the pot, coming off as the proverbial "schoolyard tormentor." This is how he gains publicity and is able to successfully market himself for any position he wants. We need someone with maturity and a touch of sophistication, in addition to business expertise this time around, which does not accurately describe The Donald. Personally, I believe he may be better off sticking to being on television shows. After all, he is more of a character than a political figure.
Photobucket
I want to hear about a candidate's qualifications, dreams for the country's future, an actual outlined plan for reaching stated goals, and why the candidate's experience will make him or her the best president. What do you want to hear America? I also want to see some intelligent, thoughtful ads this time around. Why would I want to hear a candidate talk bad about someone else (borrr-ing)? I suppose that kind of thing appeals to a lot of people, but then we have to ask ourselves as Americans, "why?" Why don't we just leave the dirt digging to the media? They can very successfully bury a bad politician. I challenge any future contenders for the presidency to keep the negative talk at bay, and lean towards a more positive approach when marketing themselves. Let's elect a grownup into office in 2012!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you'd be able to find a real adult willing to take the abuse of political office.

    ReplyDelete